There is a mobile optimized version of this page, view AMP Version.

LUAS “William Dargan Bridge”

Image by infomatique
The Luas tram system passes through the town, with the "William Dargan Bridge", a large cable-stayed bridge at Taney Cross near the town centre, being one of the bigger engineering structures on the line. The route was originally a railway line opened by the DSER. Shut in the 1950s, the alignment was preserved intact for several decades.

William Dargan, 1799-1867 an engineer, often seen as the father of Irish railways came from County Carlow, Ireland. Born in 1799, he constructed Ireland’s first railway from Dublin to Dún Laoghaire (then Kingstown) in 1833. He constructed over 800 miles of railway to important urban centres of Ireland. He was a member of the Royal Dublin Society and also helped establish National Gallery of Ireland. He died in 1867, and was interred at Glasnevin Cemetery.