Beamish and Crawford is the longest-established brewery in Cork
Image by infomatique
Beamish and Crawford is the longest-established brewery in Cork, Ireland. Established in 1792 by William Beamish and William Crawford on the site of an existing porter brewery, it has had a number of owners over the centuries. These have included Carling O’Keefe, Elders IXL, Scottish & Newcastle, and (most recently) Heineken International.
The brewery’s flagship product is Beamish stout.
In December 2008 it was announced that the Beamish & Crawford brewery was to close in March 2009 with the loss of 120 jobs. The products currently brewed there will henceforth be produced at the nearby Heineken Brewery (previously Murphy’s) with about 40 of the Beamish staff moving to Heineken.
The brewery buildings (including the Tudor fronted "counting house") are still situated in the heart of Cork’s medieval city, close to the site of the city’s South Gate.