There is a mobile optimized version of this page, view AMP Version.

The Richard Russell fountain, which had been overseas for some months undergoing restoration, war returned to the People’s Park November 2009.

The fountain was originally erected in 1877 to mark the gratitude of Limerick for Richard Russell, a highly regarded employer. The official unveiling of the restored fountain, which was attended by some one hundred people, was undertaken by the mayor of Limerick, Kevin Kiely.

The restoration process, which retained the original red colour of the fountain, was carried out in Britain at a total cost of €80,000. Two plaques on the structure give due recognition to Richard Russell.